Friday, November 05, 2004

Liberalism

In the last few years, I have stopped considering myself a liberal (unless it was with a big "L"), preferring to call myself a "moderate". Why is this? I thought it was because as I got older, I had started drifting to the right. But as I consider it, I believe it's really that the word has been hijacked by the right and turned into a nasty epithet you toss at your worst enemies. In light of this, I thought it would be interesting to inquire into the dictionary meaning of liberal:
  1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
  2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
  3. \Lib"er*al\ (l[i^]b"[~e]r*al), a. [F. lib['e]ral, L. liberalis, from liber free; perh. akin to libet, lubet, it pleases, E. lief. Cf. Deliver.] Free by birth; hence, befitting a freeman or gentleman; refined; noble; independent; free; not servile or mean; as, a liberal ancestry; a liberal spirit; liberal arts or studies. "Liberal education.'' --Macaulay. "A liberal tongue.'' --Shakespeare.

Being reminded of the true meaning of liberal, I proudly endeavor to earn the label of liberal, about whom as hoary a conservative as Aristotle wrote approvingly, including it in the virtues of the man possessing arete.

While we beat our breasts and rend our clothes in the aftermath of this election, we should keep in mind the liberal ideal and continue to do what we can to bring this ideal to reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home